Academy of Finland Strategy
- to promote scientific research and its application
- to develop international scientific cooperation
- to act as an expert in science policy
- to grant funding for scientific research, researcher training and the development of framework conditions for research
- to implement other science policy expert tasks.
Science promotes human wellbeing, supports societal progress and protects the environment.
Our mission statement
In the best interests of science
The Academy is
- Finland’s leading source of funding for scientific research
- an active and major force in the Finnish science and innovation system
- a strong voice in influencing international science policy.
To enhance the quality and impact of research, we are committed to
- promoting high-quality and ethically sustainable research
- supporting the renewal of research, multidisciplinarity, new approaches and potential scientific breakthroughs
- reinforcing the role of science in resolving the grand challenges faced by society
- putting to the best possible use, both in public policy-making and in business and industry, the results and expertise from the research it has funded
- enhancing the contribution of high-standard scientific research to development aimed at innovations
- strengthening the internationalisation and appeal of research environments
- providing opportunities for international collaboration by Finnish researchers
- monitoring and evaluating the international progress of Finnish research
- working in cooperation with universities, research institutes and ministries with a view to renewing Finnish science and research.