The members of the Academy Board and Research Councils are appointed from Finnish universities, research institutes and business companies. The Academy Board, Research Councils and the Administration Office serve as high-level experts in science and science policy, for example, by
- drafting science policy strategies and statements
- participating in debates on science policy
- reviewing applications
- evaluating research (research programmes, science and research, and individual disciplines)
- foresighting science and research and drafting impact analyses (incl. development of science indicators)
- influencing European and Nordic science policy.